Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Lord of The Rings (the boring complain post)

Gotta hand it to Peter Jackson. He really did a great job with the movie. This is the second time I've seen it. The first time was a little confusing to me. Although I've been a fan of medieval fantasy since I can remember, I never was interested in Lord of The Rings. I figured, it's the older version of what people had developed now. Probably boring. After watching the movie the second time, and reading the books, now I know I was wrong. The others are still trying to be as good as the original but none can compare.

Not knowing the books, some parts of the movie are confusing. Let's take Gandalf. When he became the white wizard, it wasn't really explained that white wizards are more powerful in general than grey wizard. So I didn't know why Gandalf suddenly can beat Saruman. Then King of Nazgul broke Gandalf's staff in an instant as Gandalf broke Saruman's staff. To me, that shows that the Nazgul was way more powerful than Gandalf. On top of that, Gandalf seems very afraid when his staff was broken. After that, the Nazgul fought with Eowyn. I couldn't understand how Eowyn could dodge those blows. If the Nazgul could beat Gandalf easily, how could Eowyn survived that long? The nazgul should've gotten her with one strike. That blow to the shield would've killed Eowyn if he was that powerful.
But, Gandalf drove many Nazguls when they were chasing Faramir. So the light trick only worked once?

Speaking of King of Nazgul, he looked like Sauron that fought Isildur to me. I was confused whether the king of Nazgul is Sauron put in a body or Sauron's projected image.

I'll edit this post as I can think of more stuff I want to complain about the movie. I almost missed out on LOTR because I thought the story is inconsistent. Good thing I was going to be Gandalf last halloween so I research him more and that leads me to discover more stuff.
Now I'm hooked! Anybody wants to learn Quenya and Sindarin with me?

1 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

where were you when we were all deep into LOTR (uh... like 3 years ago)? but nevermind. Gandalf for president!

a couple years ago, I actually tried making the staff of Gandalf the White, but never finished it. i only made the armature. i tried to cover it with plaster, but failed miserably.

i also tried learning both Quenya and Sindarin so i could write LOTR fan fiction, but never finished the story. and stopped learning Elvish, period.

so, welcome to the world of higher mammals (LOTR geekdom).

11:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home